Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Relational Music

So... a couple conversations came up at Knobcon about writing songs:
 
I suppose that it is becoming more and more scarce that electronic musicians actually sing songs and have melodies, verse, chorus, etc.  It is sort of strange to me that it surprised other people who were previously unfamiliar with my music for me to actually be singing - but I guess that it makes sense because a lot of modern modular synthesizer artists are making impromptu dance music or experimental noise.
 
I like the idea of a song that can be covered on other instruments.  In order for this to happen, there has to be some components to the song that others can latch onto - whether this is a melody, chord progression, or structural latch.  I am not saying that without these elements, you don't have music or you don't have a song.  I am also not saying that other people should cover my songs.  I am simply saying that I try to write songs that have these components which make a song relational.  I like to make music that a person can remember a certain moment in the song or think about when they are not hearing it. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a really interesting post. It's sad that songs with synthesizers are so scarce these days, but they really are, just looks up synthesizer music on bandcamp and you'll see!

    ReplyDelete