Wednesday, December 21, 2011

new beginnings...

This is the launch of the new website for my band Travelogue. 

I grew up in Southern California.  As a 6th grade kid, I had a chance to go to the 1984 NAMM show (National Association for Music Merchants).  My uncle had owned a small music store in Montana and flew down to CA for the convention.  By this time, I had been playing the piano for 4 years and was already obsessed with synthesizers.  I came home from the convention with bags of brochures and magazines.  My walls became plastered with pictures of synthesizers made by Roland, Yamaha, Moog, Kurzweil, Korg, PPG, etc - along with posters of bands that I liked:  Howard Jones, The Human League, Gary Numan, Thomas Dolby, The Cure, and The Damned.

Throughout junior high and high school, I spent a large amount of time programming synthesizer sounds for different people.  Friends and friends-of-friends would loan me a synthesizer for a week or month and I would give it back to them with new sounds.  I understood synthesis better than most people and was not afraid of tedious menus through multiple windows of abbreviated words, symbols, and numbers.  Synthesizers were also what initially got me interested in electronics which eventually led me to pursue a BSEE from Cal Poly Pomona.

Travelogue is a project that I started in 2000, after working for years in other bands, House of Wires and Pivot Clowj.  I still love to write a song.  I still love to record.  I still collect and play synthesizers.  I still love the process of synthesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment