Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Acoustic Instruments Part 2: The Stroh Violin

Developed in the early 1900's and sold as early as 1911, the Strohviol, or Stroh Violin, was an attempt to increase the volume of the violin.  The one that I own is a modern copy and not an original from the 1900's, though I have seen and played an original one before.


Instead of a bridge resting on a wooden resonant body, the bridge is connected to the horn much like the phonograph needle on a Victrola is connected to its horn and the thin, tinny sound of the Strohviol is projected and directed out of the horn.   I was never a good violinist, but the violin and the cello are two of my favorite instruments, so I have this, a violin, an electric violin, and a cello in my arsenal that I sometimes attempt to play and record.

No comments:

Post a Comment