Saturday, August 11, 2012

Monolith modular synthesizer


Several years ago, I bought a modular synth from a friend that needed tons of work.  The possible features of this synth made it very attractive, however, and I was willing to take the risk of buying it without any guarantee that I would be able to fix it.  Originally, the synth had an attached keyboard and joystick.  I have not been able to fix the keyboard section of it yet, so I modified the case so that the keyboard is in a separate enclosure.  One the keyboard part, there is lettering that reads "Monolith II".  Other than that, I have no clue what the origins of this synth are.



The Monolith II has many useful features that I have not seen in a lot of modular synthesizers. A description of each module is found on my flickr page (see link on right side of this blog).  Many of the modules were cryptic, with single letters indicating what their function is:  M for mixer, VP for voltage processor, C for comparator, R for random generator, etc.  In addition to this, there are several mixers, so they are called M1, M2, M3, etc.  The photo on the right shows a close up of some of the modules:  Voltage processors have bipolar attenuation and bipolar offset with built in meters, The external input processor has a built in mic, compressor, voltage follower and trigger detector. 


Click on any of these photos for a larger view.

No comments:

Post a Comment